~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Tuesday, October 21

Vanilla or Cinnamon?

I saw the most amazing thing in my e-mail box today,...the holiday e-mail from Dean & Deluca. [They are pretty good....over-priced on some things, you have to know your prices before you shop there,but high quality. I prefer to get my spices from Penzeys,when they're not lying about whether something is the salt-free version of one of their products or not :o) ] Dean and Deluca was reminding me,I need to pre-order my Thanksgiving bird NOW to avoid the rush. So,I bit....I clicked on the link

http://www.deandeluca.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=160211855

to see how much they'd want this year. [If you're reading this you're online,you are probably already sitting down, but with THIS one,I'm not taking any chances,-sit your butt down]....for an 18 lb bird,they want 160$. See? I TOLD you to sit down!!!! I'd serve mini weinies in a blanket for Thanksgiving before I'd pay that! [And I'm a pro at this...I've hosted Thanksgiving and Christmas every year for 22 years now, for anywhere from 15 to 30 people. I cook 2 /13-15 lb birds for Thanksgiving] I buy my birds locally,or get them for free in the programs the stores run every year. I don't pay 160$ for the whole Dinner [well,not if you don't include the booze for the, er, after-dinner festivities ]and I cook from scratch...I do use canned cranberries,certain family members love them.

Actually I am so far behind the 8 ball on Thanksgiving prep already,it would be hard to get any worse, I have to hehehe :o) We always manage to pull it off, but with this new job, I've not been baking and prepping stuff like I usually do. I also knew,if I baked the pumpkin bread or any pies or cookies already,they would have flown out of the house with some kids anyway. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend,playing catch up.Whoopsie! [Which scent was it that drives men crazy,- Vanilla or Cinnamon? I find out and let you know :o)] You haven't seen anything til you've been here on Thanksgiving Eve,for chinese food for dinner, and prepping and brining the birds. We all look forward to that as much as we do the holiday :o)

I also learned something today, I had NO idea.That, taking dried KIDNEY beans [that particular kind]and crocking them [soaking and cooking until tender in a crockpot] creates a toxin:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html

Holy CRAP ! I never knew that [I've never crocked beans,I prefer the stove method] I whole heartedly suggest,if you or someone you love crocks beans,that you examine that link.Wow.You know,I have a slew of thoughts about this and m-i-l jokes.But I will put them down and walk away.

I ordered myself another pair of glasses !!! I gave in.When I was 43, I went straight from regular lenses to trifocals,and they were ok. I never had any of the problems with them other people do,but I wasn't willing to pay $$$ for them, I mean,invisible trifocals cost a LOT.So,when I discovered I could order glasses online,I ordered a pair without the bi or tri focals. OMG,was that a stupid move. My supervisor at work appears to be far sighted,so when we are discussing the appropriate parts and parts numbers to use for a job,she holds the parts a mile away from her face.When she's done,I slide my glasses down my nose and hold the parts right up to my eyeballs,we've laughed about that a few times,but it's getting to be a PITA,so I popped for bifocals.Woo-Hoo! And navy blue frames,to boot.Now,I'll be a STYLIN' geek ! :o)

2 comments:

tech2tech2day said...

Gail,it is always a pleasure to start my day with you. Will we see your new geek glasses? The last picture I saw of you was you and Steve in your kitchen,ready to leave for a party. Dean says Hello,and asks if he is forgiven. You know he considers you to be the daughter he never had.
Peace,
Nina

Gail said...

Nin,you tell Dean,[and I TOLD him this in an e-mail a ehile ago]there is nothing to forgive! He just didn't know how much I struggled over whether to stay home or not.When I Love someone they stay Loved :o)You made my day :o)I am touched that he feels that way about me,the feeling is mutual :o) He always looks out for me,but sometimes he pisses me off :O) :o)