~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Monday, October 6

Just give me a drink,and I'll fit right in

Riff 1. a melodic phrase, often constantly repeated, forming an accompaniment or part of an accompaniment for a soloist.

While that's the standard musical definition,riffs happen in our lives too. A pattern,repeated daily,that you would immediately recognize if you thought about it,and you would notice if it was absent. Some riffs are welcome, others make you want to defenestrate someone.
For example....A morning riff. Steve leaves before I do. He is a true morning person,and I am not.When he hugs me good bye, he has a smile on his face. I hug him back,but I'm sure my face is saying "$%%^&*&*",even though that's not what my heart is saying. Every day,it's the "Door Riff",and I would immediately notice it's absence.
When I am on my way to work,I have to pull out into nasty traffic,and it bothers me,so I have a lil "Anxiety Riff" every morning,-is this the day I'm gonna get hit? Not a pleasant riff.
EVERY night after dinner I have to remind Tony to do his dinner chores.His mind,I'm sure,is on a higher,more worthy plane than us mere mortals,how DARE I intrude on his thoughts by asking if he finished the dishes??? This is one of those riffs where I'd like to defenestrate someone :o)
The Night Time riff,you all have it.Lock the doors,turn the heat down,set things up for the next day.
Some riffs occur with the seasons,like the annual "Getting the Furnace ready for the heating season" That and the smell of leaves say autumn to me more than anything else.
The annual riff that says Christmas to me, surprize, is Steves' company Christmas party. It's hard for me to go,because I only see his co-workers once a year, at this party,and I don't know most of them well. This will come as a shock to some of you,but I am not a "big party" type of person. But,once I get there,I always have great time,and relax [ok,the drinks help,but I do have a great time ] and once I'm at ease,That's the start of Christmas for me...not the tree,or the shopping,or anything else,THAT is my signal to relax and have fun,and that Christmas is around the corner.
You know what got me boarded on this train of thought? One of my co-workers is ALWAYS the first to go to lunch. I LOVE lunch time,don't get me wrong. But I don't know of anyone else who expends so much energy waiting for lunch.Today,I didn't hear one peep outta that person,and I had to be told it was lunch time. It made me think of all the other little signals,we all get,every day.We probably don't even think about them,but we acknowledge them by our actions...a hug,a yell,a drink,or no action at all if we missed the riff.

OMG,-even as I type,another riff.....EVERY single time Tony opens the fridge he manages to drop,spill,break,or smash something....he just pulled a bin off the door.The fridge riff . I only have a problem with large bottles of teriyaki ;o)

~Did you ever notice: When you put the 2 words "The" and "IRS" together it spells "Theirs?" ~

Oct 5-11: National "Carry a Tune" week

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the rail pulled off the freezer door over the weekend.
What is it with our boys?????? Broke a chunk out of the door I guess 14 years is too much to hope for out of a GE product vs a 8 and 4 year old.
They have youth on it LOL

Gail said...

Lee,I dunno....and this boy is 19! You'd think he have learned not to pull the fridge apart by now! And you know,it is too damn funny....the thunk,then the yelling,then the kvetching if they have to actually clean something up :o) I just sit here and lol [behind my hand,of course :o)]

Shirla said...

I told Tina and Linda that you said happy birthday to them and they both said thank you and that was very sweet of you.