~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Sunday, August 24

Photographs and memories

Update:
Desk going together.Steve had to go down to the basement on an unrelated trip,and grabbed the drill,so technically he cheated!! I Swear !
Update:He just sent Tony to me asking for my tool kit.I TOLD YOU! I can feel his smile from here :o)

Kids went to a show last night,Stevie took my camera.Camera went home with him instead of back to me,so we decided to give him that one as a housewarming gift and buy a new one.Today.I really want to get pics of that amaryllis !
And speaking of pics,John has graciously allowed me to post here a few of his "graphs" :o) so I could try to explain yesterdays entry.Some of you who haven't looked at black and white lately,might feel that it is the passe way of taking photographs. Highly,tightly posed,mostly formal,mostly family-oriented.This is an example of that,...my Mom,Dad,sister Sharon and brother Bruce,around 1953.This is what most people think of when they think of B&W photography:


When cameras became more user friendly and less expensive,and color film was introduced,people equated black and white with unwieldy and old fashioned.Fastforward a while :o) The interweb came to my home,and I got to visit sights like these:
http://www.paulpolitis.com/photography.asp
and
http://www.nyclondon.com/blog/
among others.It was just such a search that found Johns' blog :o)
I prefer Johns blog to the others,because of the nature of the photos.This one first:

When you strip away the color,you're left with the texture here.This looks like gin that's been in the freezer for a week,you know if you put your hand in that water you'll freeze,and it will have a silken,unctuous texture to it.You're not swayed by any sunlight or lack thereof,or any water colors ,like green or blue,that would cause you not to be able to associate the water with something else.You can almost reach out and feel the texture of the water.I Loved that photo.And this one,I'm almost afraid to tell you what I thought...actually,I'm not gonna,I don't need to look crazier than I am.I did go to Johns blog,type it out,and never posted it.When you look at this,don't be looking for the content,or the composition,just look at it.
These are photos that simply wouldn't work,or wouldn't have the same impact in color.The digital also has a different texture, it's kinda harsh,and unforgiving,and [IMHO,I hope a lot of you aren't photographers or my ass will be in a sling] simply doesn't have a lot of texture to give to the subject.And I do love color shots,RockerLin from kf does fantastic "groupie" shots [SHE gives the word groupie a good meaning ]if I had one of hers I'd put it here for contrast.[I'll ask her for some,but her son is headed off to college for the first time,so it might be a while.

And now you'll see the difference,between a photographer and a duffer [I being the duffer ] Here is todays effort,...this is the Amaryllis that came out of hibernation thurs.night..that's right,3 days ago.This is all new growth since then :o)

And this,hot off the press from Rockerlin,you feel like you're right there[and TY Lin :o)] [this is Vivian Campbell of Def Leppard]

5 comments:

Erin said...

I understand what you mean about the difference between B&W and color. I have taken some of my color pics and turned them B&W on the computer. I currently have 18 of them on display in the bathroom. All of the photos we put in there will be in B&W. I should take a picture of the frames to show you.

Also, I won't hold the digital comment against you. I held out for the longest time before getting a digital. I do like knowing that I have the shot I want. I also think the quality of the photo does have to do with the quality of the camera. Sometimes also the operator. My current camera is one that I delta or beta tested for the manufacturer last year. I was able to keep it as compensation for testing. I LOVE IT! It is now out on the market. E-mail me if you want any details. It is a point & shoot. I'm looking forward to upgrading to a SLR Digital.

Gail said...

AOL is being a bitch this morning,if this doesn't get posted I'll try again later.Steve got me a Sony-DSC-S730 yesterday,I love it.That's what I took the amaryllis pic with.
That's an excellent idea about framing your own prints,I get teased because I'll frame anything that interests me,even when I can't say why :o)And,I'll admit,I chose digital because of the hassle and cost of developing.John produces show-grade graphs,and he develops his own film.Me,plug the sucker into the puter and let er rip.:o)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I will introduce you to some great stuff in a bit... in the meantime, I should send you some of my black and whites! I didn't know you liked them so much :-)

Gail said...

Hi,Honey....mz Art Major,you ever look at my desktop? Pure B&W :o)I don't know How you could miss it,except if you were busy telling dirty jokes and raiding the fridge with Boo :o) :O) Got Doritos honey?? :o) :o) :o)
:::Smooches:::

Anonymous said...

Doritoes... no, I don't but I think I ought to get some! hahaha... p.s... I want an amaryllis toooooooo! I'm gonna hafta get one now!