~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Wednesday, November 19

You ALWAYS quit on a Monday

Tomorrow, November 20th, is the Great American Smokeout. It's the day a lot of people choose to quit smoking, or make one "Righteous Attempt" to quit. Because they know in their hearts it's the right thing to do. And they really WANT to. But then, when the first attempt fails, they figure, "I can't do this", and never try again. I am here to tell you, it's a bitch-kitty to do, and I'd rather give birth to triplets while riding a unicycle in rush hour traffic over the BQE than do it again. BUT.... you can do it if you keep trying. Like riding a bicycle,or learning a new instrument. Or starting a new career at age 47! Look on the right hand side of my blog, scroll down a wee bit,....to my "quit smoking" ticker. We were discussing quitting smoking in an e-mail loop last week, when my "money saved " ticker rolled over to 36,000 .YES....36 THOUSAND dollars saved by this former 2 pack a day smoker. I don't look at that ticker enough. Quitting smoking is on my list of the Best Things I Ever Did In My Life. [The other 4 are marrying Steve and having our kids, it's a short list]

I started smoking when I was 15, and I smoked for 20 years. I tried 10 Righteous times to quit, and every time I tried and failed, I learned something that helped me do a little better the next time. The last time I tried, July 19th, 1996, I stayed quit. I'm not exactly sure what led to it...I was in the living room with Steve on a Thursday night, and just decided it was time [I know,ALL smokers think that, repeatedly. But we really mean it while we're thinking it.] I told Steve,and he gave me that husband eye-roll type of thing, and I wanted to slap him...but I could see where he was coming from, he'd heard it all before. And then he says, "But you always quit on a Monday" Oh, NO you didn't, get your foot outta your mouth Dear :o) I could not have made the attempt, let alone finally be successful, without the support of my family and friends. No way. Even while he was thinking "Oh, here we go, on the "Quittin' Bitch Express" AGAIN, Steve held my hand and had my back. My kids cheered me on EVERY day, and my family celebrates every July 19 like it's a holiday. Sometimes, even after all these years, I miss the cigs. Not the way you do when you're quitting, but sometimes I MISS that after dinner cig, or the coffee cig [Oh, THAT was a bitch, learning how to drink coffee without a butt.] The hardest thing, was a month after I had quit. I found an unopened pack of butts, and stood there holding it for the longest time, like I had the devil in my hand. I wanted to rip open that sucker in the WORST way. But I couldn't let Steve and the kids down. From then on I knew I'd be ok.

Well, tomorrow is the day for you current smokers to get back up on the horse and make your Righteous Attempt. I am NOT going to tell you it's easy, or you can do it, blahblahblah or any of that bullshit. It's hard. Most of you who read this blog, from KF, PP, BP or IRL, know my real name, my address, my phone number,and a hell of a lot more. Over the years we have traded a lot of love, hardship, and tears. If any of you want to make your Righteous Attempt, you can count on my support, in any way I can support you. Call me, e-mail me, you go right ahead. Call the house and Ill give you my cell, I will stop in the middle of the grocery store, make people wait in the post office, or pull over to the side of the road, to support you. I will make the laundry wait to support you, and certainly I will stop vacumming to support you. You can vent at me til the cows come home,or another quitter appears on the Caller ID. I could not have quit without the support I received. If you smoke, you owe it to yourself to give it one Righteous try. No harm, no foul, right? I will not bitch you out, I've been there. Just give it a bit of a try? The Gail Hotline is now open :o)

Here are some websites to get you going,to give you ideas on how to git' er done. I don't know if you can do it, but I DO know you CAN try. One try. One day.

Don't be afraid.

*Cigarettes are the ONLY product that,when used exactly as the manufacturer recommends, can kill you.*


http://www.becomeanex.com/#learn_overview

http://www.everydayhealth.com/smoking-cessation/index.aspx?

http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9O0E/b.33484/

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/quittingsmoking.html

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/ped_10_3.asp


November 20th:
-The Great American Smokeout
-Name your PC day [I always do :o) ]

post signature

4 comments:

toypartman said...

I will never forget that night, I was NOT supportive and have always been ashamed of it. As you said, I had heard it all before and I didn't think this time would be any different. Honey, that was the best gift you've ever given me (well almost) and I enjoy every non smoke filled breath I take when I'm home.

Gail said...

:::insert a huge ass smile here:::: I understood,I always have,and you are the Best :o)And I could NOT have done it without you.

Tater said...

Oh you two! :)

I'm so proud you quit and am especially thankful of the support you have given me when I quit. You are the bestest, Gail!

Gail said...

Ruta,my friend,I am so proud of you.*I* know how hard it is,and what you accomplished.We ought to make today a holiday ;o)