~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Sunday, November 16

Lumps=Potatoes,everyone knows THAT.

I live in southern NY,and one neighboring county is Rockland. They have recently passed a law banning vehicles from idling for more than 3 minutes. I'm not a big tree hugger, but on the surface, that sounded like a good idea to me. Older vehicles won't warm up [i.e,produce warm heated air in the passenger compartment] in that time frame, [I drive an '00, and never have warm air before I get to work] but vehicles don't need to idle that long for the engine to be ready to propel the vehicle.Then I read, and listened. On the reading end, it seems that most idling vehicle emissions do not come from John and Jane Doe warming up in the driveway.They occur at high volume times at tollbooths,at drive-thrus [think mcdonalds and burger king, people getting coffee in the morning] and when big rigs,commuter buses and school buses idle rather than shut down. [oh,we lived on the main drag, right across the street from a moving company the first 4 years we were married. I can attest to the obnoxiousness of big rig idle fumes]
As I listen to people around me,I hear people are very upset with the new law, they want their vehicles warm when they get into them. For me, I am married to a gearhead, and idling for more than a minute is verboten. It's hard on engines, and God FORBID I was ever hard on my engine,except for beating on it for it's own good. So I never got into the habit of expecting a warm vehicle. I read one blog where the author says all drive-thrus ought to be shut down except for handicap access.[think McDonalds and Burger king,people getting their morning coffee] I overheard an elderly lady telling [her friend? whoever was with her in the store] that she didn't give a rip about any laws, *SHE* was not going anywhere in a cold car,which made me think.....who,exactly,is going to enforce this law? People with green tendencies, gearheads, and people who are watching their mpg are all not idling anyway. Who will report the idlers to the cops? Will cops drive around with a stopwatch? I hate that legislative time and money was spent enacting a law that can't be enforced. Education would have been a better choice. Here's a site where you can go to see what your state laws concerning idling are:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2170989/2008-Idle-Laws-by-State

We have another entry from Stevie,who decided to up his game, and cook chicken pot pie from scratch, for his gf. [He did use canned crescent roll dough for the top, on my advice as well as a friends, you do not need to mess with real pie dough when you're making the "guts" from scratch for the first time]The IM's and phone calls were flying fast and furious, I was l my A off [and Stevie,you know we are laughing with you honey :O)] He told me everything went great...except he forgot to add the flour to the onions and butter [to make the roux for the sauce] so he dumped it in at the end and got lumps....but that's ok,cause the lumps would pass for potatoes !!!!! wooooooo,lmao big time over THAT piece of wisdom. :O) :) :O)


Boo doesn't read my blog,so I'll tell you, she spent the weekend with us, and went back to her apt. today. Steve and I went upstairs.......and her bed was MADE kinda!!!! And there were NO dirty dishes in her room !!!! AND she left no "I didn't want it" mail on the coffee table!!!! We had to hold on to each other so as not to fall on the floor in a faint!!! [See all those exclamation points? I only throw them when people shock me, and that doesn't happen a lot ] ^5,WTG Boo! :o)

November 17th: Homemade Bread Day

post signature

5 comments:

TronWife said...

There is no idling law in WA state. And yummmm on the pot pie.

Shirla said...

Gail...Please come to my blog and pick up your award. :)

I dont think we have a no idling law in VA.

Gail said...

Stevie says THank You Dawn :O)

Shirla,TYVM :O) I will be right over :o)

Al said...

lol i almost left that pile of mail there too

Gail said...

Woo-hoo! The Boo is heard from! I KNEW today should have been a holiday :o) I love you honey,and I am doing my BEST to punctuate properly! :O) {{{{B}}}}}}}