~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Tuesday, January 20

Question Authority !

If you've been here long enough [a day or two at LEAST] you know the cello is a passion of mine. I'm always looking for knowledge and inspiration, when I get a new piece and need help with fingering or bowing, I turn to You Tube, to hear and see some of the masters play. I adore Yo-Yo Ma. He has a definite feminine side that speaks to the way I play. I really enjoy watching say, Rostropovitch perform a piece, and then listen to Yo-Yos' interpretation of it. I only had Yo-Yos Bach Prelude for Cello suite #1 [ it's in G Major] in my faves at You Tube. But it isn't a very good video....long on the scenes, short on actually seeing Yo-Yo perform. When I watch a video, I want to see the artist perform, not a set of grassy stairs. But something wasn't true for me with this video. No matter WHAT I did, I couldn't get the warmth, the singing quality Yo-Yo has. My interpretation is always too bright. I figured, well, THAT'S the difference between world class cellist over there, and classy broad over here. Until I REALLY listened. He isn't playing that in G! If you listen carefully, either the audio is slower than it ought to be, or he tuned that damn cello down a half step. All the same fingerings, all the same strings, but a half step down to G flat, no WONDER I always sound so bright and perky, like a freakin school crossing guard hopped up on the crack, rather than mellow hot summer day, with with big puffy clouds overhead. I call SHENANIGANS on that! I went looking, and my man Rostropovich was at You Tube. I listened to him, and sure enough, I was right,- Yo-Yo ain't playin' in G. You can hear it for yourself. Here are two links,-the first will be Yo-Yo, the second Rostropovich, both playing the same prelude:

Yo-Yo on Bach>

Rostropovich on Bach>

I feel like that's makeup....or anti-wrinkle cream. Covering up something to make it look [or sound] like something it's not, or changing the intrinsic heart of the piece. I know, I know, guitars have capos', you can mute brass and strings, yada-yada-yada. I don't know why it bothered me,- it's a video, not a concert performance. And you have to admit, the effect is lovely. Just wish I'd hit myself with the clue-bat before I tried so hard to reproduce that sound.

On to Stevie! I promised him,any time he makes a new creation in that new kitchen of his, if he sends me a pic, I shall blog it. So Yaaargh, here it be.......Stevie beef and broccoli, wok-style. Well done. :o)

And the house...Our r.e, the SELLERS' r.e, and Steve and I are all in agreement as to the worth of the house. The seller thinks it worth 25 grand more than that. The sellers' r.e is trying to get him to see the light, but I'm not holding my breath,we're still looking.

January 21st:
-National Hugging Day

~People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.~
post signature

7 comments:

CaptainChaos! said...

The wok is now dead:( but the stir-fry was passable.

Al said...

did you hear the rendition of simple things that was played at the inaguration? it was beautiful, and yoyo was a part of it. i really hope it hits itunes soon.

Al said...

^ simple gifts i think actually

Gail said...

Boo,yeah I did,I was so happy to see him and Itzhak together :o)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090120/ap_en_mu/inauguration_quartet
or
http://tinyurl.com/8jfhuv

Gail said...

Boo! Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GoRIQ9cwG8

CaptainChaos! said...

It's covered in detritus that I cannot remove from the beef brazin' bash I had sunday.

Wok is dead.

Wok is fail.

Wok's sorry ass goin to the garbage pail.

Gail said...

Stevie! You do have an option...scour it with an SOS pad.That was an inexpensive wok,it wasn't seasoned or anything,like my cast iron pans,so you wouldn't be hurting it.But......I'd suggest buying a non stick one like the one you got me a few years ago for Christmas.Buy one bigger than you think you'll need.You'l use it all the time :o) Oh,just noticed the rhyme...that's MY son :o) And WAIT,DON'T toos it,give it to me,I'll scour it and drill it out,and use it as a planter on the outside table of the house we're buying when we find one!!