~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Friday, August 7

Mustard Squirters and Smelly things

Well.
We all have things we don't know, right?
Evidently I don't know real wood when I see it.
[NOT A WORD. NOT ONE.]
The cabinets in my kitchen are in rough shape. I was in the process of deciding what to do with them, paint them, whatever. You saw in my bloggie, I posted a pic of my magnetic knife strips finally going up. Last night I mentioned to Steve, you know what? Every pic I take of those cabinets, they look like real wood!
Guess what?
They ARE wood.
Most likely oak, the grain pattern looks very much like the grain of our oak bed.
Steve about busted a gut laughing at me. He couldn't understand why *I* would paint over wood, he assumed I knew the cabinets are wood, but since the kitchen is mine, he was willing to go along with me.
In light of this discovery, I took a good long look at them. I had already scrubbed them when we moved in, but thinking they were not real wood, I thought the surface was permanently stained.Today I got a green scrubbie and oil soap, and went to work.
.
[Axiom: The size of your kitchen increases in direct proportion to the amount of wood surface you must scrub, repeatedly and with force.]

And I'll be at THAT for quite a while.
Now, Steve is probably thinking, Hehehe, less work and no money, I LIKE wood cabinets. Except for one small thing. This house was built in the 60's, and it never occurred to ANY of the previous owners to put up knobs or pulls, to prevent the very staining I am scrubbing off right now.And I LIKE knobs, you can insert some character into your kitchen with your choice of them. But [DON'T tell Steve this] they ain't free. And when you ad up the cabinets, the drawers, the baking center I brought with me, and the sideboard in the dining room, that adds up to 34 pulls or knobs. Steve is not in the clear yet. I'll try not to go overboard, but I am not getting plain jane ugly knobs just for the sake of having them. I'm sure as soon as I find they right things, they will speak to me.

Just like these lil bottles spoke right up. But I'll start at the beginning. I make my own body oil, for after showers. I use grapeseed oil [you can get that right in the baking section at Stop n shop, 9 bucks for a bottle like this:


and I mix my own essential oils into it. I will not pay 20 bucks for a tiny bottle that someone else put the stink in, I can do that myself ThankYouVeryMuch. I prefer the citrus family, so I have bottles of lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and lime essential oils, and mix up what ever strikes my fancy. But,what to store it in? In the old place, I used this [and I won't even BOTHER to tell you not to laugh, I don't want any ruptures, this was in my medicine cabinet for Years:




But...the space in this medicine cabinet is too short to accomodate a squirty mustard bottle. Hmm, 50-60's theme, short bottle for storing body oil. And this is what I wound up with, you can see on the shelf above, the lil bottles of essential oil I use:


On a side note, one of my sisters sent us a beautiful set of home scenters for the Love Shack. You know the kind, a bottle with scented oil in it and reeds that soak up the oil and scent the air.When the oil is gone from the ones we were gifted, I am making scented oil to go into those cute lil bottles, using the same method I would for body oil.That way, I can keep the lil bottles for a long time. you can see one of them on the sink near my mustard squirter :X




post signature

No comments: