~“The Blog That Watches Back”~

Tuesday, December 11

Thrifty Tuesday/ Mama always said to wash your hands

You may not know this about me, but I am very much into making my own health and beauty items.That is, things that *I* have produced that take the place of a store bought item. That do as good or better a job than their manufactured counterparts. I'm most successful with body oils, having finally figured out what blend of oils and scents works best for my skin. The internet certainly makes my search for inspiration, as well as information, one hell of a lot easier than it used to be.


I have eczema. A patch on each of my hands. Nothing huge, actually. But it itches like holy hell, and, as it is a rash, can become a vector for germs to get into my skin. GERMS IN THE WRONG PLACE=BAD. Mama was right, so I always wash my hands as a first line of defense. Sometimes that is just not possible. Which is why I began my search for a hand sanitizer that I can make, that does not smell like an evil laboratory or contain ingredients that have the potential to harm me.


A stroll down the sanitizer aisle at the store gives me 2 choices in the antibacterial department.......triclosan or alcohol. I refuse to use hand sanitizers with triclosan in them. They contribute to the rise of resistant germs, and are even now being linked to health problems.




That leaves alcohol. This is good, alcohol is cheap! It also smells like the alley behind a pool hall and stings my eczema like a summabeetch. So I need to use enough alcohol to be effective at killing the germs. Mixed with something to dilute it a bit and give it a soothing quality, and perhaps an ingredient to make it smell better. Look at what I found today! The basis for a home made hand sanitizer. I can pronounce all the ingredients, I can buy them locally, and I can make batches upon demand, so they are not sitting on a store shelf for God knows how long losing their effectiveness.


http://www.utahpreppers.com/2009/04/pandemic-preparedness-diy-sanitization/

[please scroll down to the recipe for hand sanitizer. Thank you very much Utah Preppers, you have a lovely site, and I appreciate it.]


I have those ingredients in my home already. You'll need them, along with:

-some type of small unbreakable bottle, preferably with a flip-top, to decant the sanitizer into.

-an array of essential oils....a small bottle of sanitizer should only need a few drops of oil to scent it nicely.

-food grade dye [think of the Easter egg dyes you use, or icing dyes]


There is nothing wrong with a clear sanitizer. The problem I see is that, once it is on the skin, you might leave a bit un-rubbed in. Which would then transfer to your clothes. Or coat, or gloves, ect. The alcohol could bleed the fabric. So I want just a touch of color in my sanitizer, to prevent the destruction of my clothing. I am very good at that already, I don't need any more help.

I would add 3-5 drops of essential oil, and 1/2 drop of food coloring [or less, we want a little tinge, not a day-glo effect] per cup of alcohol and adjust up or down in later batches to suit myself.

The cost of the aloe, alcohol, essential oil[s], and dyes will definitely be recouped by the sheer amount of sanitizer you can make. All the ingredients are also shelf stable, no waste from products turning rancid.

I also thought to look for an alcohol free version of hand sanitizer. Lo and behold, the interwebz answered my call!

http://www.noordinaryhomestead.com/making-homemade-hand-sanitizer

[A very informative blog, you will enjoy it as well]


This version will be a bit more pricy, as the essential oils themselves are the antibacterial ingredients. This is the first kind I will make at home however, for cold weather use. Winter air and heat is drying enough without alcohol helping it along.


I am finishing up the hand sanitizers I have now, and I will keep the bottles to refill with my own creations. A great way to start the New Year, weaned off of the scary stuff in the bottles from the store.

No comments: